gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: What is GCL about?

From: C Y
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: What is GCL about?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:26:52 -0800 (PST)

--- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1) We should import existing ansi lisp code/other high quality base
>    lisp code wherever possible.  We're better off leveraging our
>    currently limited human resources in our unique strengths rather
>    than playing a late uphill catch-up game on the compliance front.
>    This is *not* to say that compliance is not essential, --it
>    absolutely is-- (and we're making encouraging progress!), but
>    rather we should avoid reinventing the wheel and simply include
>    relevant code from Clisp/CMUCL to achieve compliance in the most
>    efficient manner possible.

I agree, with the exception of the ANSI test stuff that has been
appearing lately.  That work I believe should continue just as it has
to this point, without relying on other (possibly broken) code to fill
in gaps.  Not to say other testing code wouldn't be used, but it would
have to withstand a stiff audit to make it to gcl.

> 2) Interfaces to external C libraries, faslink features, native
> object
>    code loading, providing a frontend 'tree' output for the GCC
>    backend, all become important.  As do portability and performance
>    issues, both with GCL itself as well as with applications compiled
>    with it.
>
> I'd most like to hear any other thoughts!

If our goal is to be good at interfacing, I'd recommend an effort to
get UFFI working on GCL and possibly extend it.  Whether that's
relevant or not to point 2 above I'm not totally sure, but I think it
is worth mentioning.  Also maybe look at ACL docs for interfacing and
try to follow their lead wherever it makes sense, because a) they seem
to do good work and b) we might get to run ACL apps without too much
fuss.

CY