gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: standard gcl script

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: standard gcl script
Date: 16 Dec 2002 15:22:59 -0500

Greetings!  What you are seeing pertains to GNU readline, which GCL
uses for command line editing and command completion under vt100
compatible terminals.

I suggest you try the latest CVS snapshots of 2.5.0, which can be
found in prebuilt binary and source formats at

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl/cvs

2.4.4 uses readline in all environments.  The user can always disable
by removing the line you cite.  In 2.5.0, GCL will disable readline
automatically when invoked under 'dumb' terminals, e.g. in any emacs
mode, including ilisp.  This is felt to be the best of both worlds,
though we could easily incorporate any other such runtime toggling,
e.g. via an environment variable, should users wish.

Take care,