gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] generic function performance

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] generic function performance
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 08:56:36 -0600

Peter Wood wrote:
Hi

In another post, I showed how we can make some functions (like typep,
subtypep and coerce) be generic, using #'pcl::make-specializable.  It
is really a big advantage to be able to use this technique since we
can automatically reuse the present code, with small modifications,
and build some fancy-ansi stuff on top.  However, I suggested that it
might have negative performance implications.

Well I've been doing some informal testing, and I'm not sure that the
performance impact is very significant.

I most often see TYPEP in form where the type is a constant form.
TYPEP should specialize that at compile time (perhaps using a compiler
macro?).

Anyway, GCL's performance is (IMO) secondary at this point vs. correctness
and spec compliance.  Make it right, then make it fast.

        Paul