gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Fatal error in BIT-AND on rank 0 array

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Fatal error in BIT-AND on rank 0 array
Date: 27 Jan 2003 15:43:33 -0500

Greetings!  Your solution looks fine too, Peter.  Its only
disadvantage is that it pollutes the heap with extra consing.  In
general, the existing code in GCL appears to have gone to considerable
length to allocate temporary structures used at the C level on the
stack, apparently in the judgment that the cost of garbage collection
is far greater than an extra function call.  I don't know for sure to
what extent this still remains true.  Its just that for the present,
my philosophy is to apply minimal fixes adhering to the existing style
as closely as possible.  As we get closer to getting the basic
functionality in place, I personally think GCL could use a good
overhaul/rewrite.  But this will take a lot of time.

Take care,