gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] Regarding the release...

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] Regarding the release...
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:50:12 +1000

Hi Camm.

Sorry about the late response just as the release looms - I had a backed up
drain at home and spent Friday dealing with the rather unpleasant
consequences!

| 4) There is a compiler bug in the volatile variable detection,
|    necessitating a makefile applied patch of pcl_methods.c for now.
|    If anyone wants to look into this, grep on setjmp and volatile in
|    cmpnew/*lsp.  The idea is that variables cannot be put into
|    registers if they are used in a block which could be accessed via a
|    longjmp, i.e. throw/catch.  The code that does this in gcl C files
|    manipulate the frs stack and are thus labelled.
|
| 5) There is an (apparently small) compilation output difference
|    between the ansi and traditional images.  The ANSI writes certain
|    closures with the 'turbo closure' mechanism, which looks to be an
|    improvement.  Until this is adequately tested, the makefiles use
|    the traditional image to rebuild the lsp and cmpnew core C files.

If you have any insights about whether these things could affect the Windows
build of the ANSI version, which as you know has problems, please let me
know.

| P.S. If anyone would like to write a short blurb about the release,
| I'd be most grateful.

Try this as a starting point.

The GNU Common Lisp (GCL) development team is pleased to release Version
2.5.0, the first major release since the untimely death of the former
maintainer Dr William Schelter over a year ago.  The project is now hosted
on http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gcl/ and is maintained and developed by
a team of thirteen programmers.  Our home page lives at
http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl/

This release stabilises the CLtL1 compliant build of GCL on most major
Unices including 11 Debian Linux 64 and 32 bit architectures and modern
versions of Microsoft Windows (TM).  A rapisly progressing, partially ANSI
compliant version is also available on the Linux platforms.

GCL plays a substantial role in development of the Maxima computer algebra
system (http://maxima.sourceforge.net/) and ACL2, a computational logic
system (http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/moore/acl2/).  The compiler is a
decendant of the famous KCL and AKCL Common Lisp compilers and is licenced
under version two of the GNU Library General Public License.

As with any Lisp system GCL is a lot of fun to work with.  We welcome all
comments and feedback.   Developers are particularly welcome too.  You will
find that the project offers a wide variety of challenges on various
platforms to anyone with an interest in compilers, low level C programming
or Common Lisp.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.