gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Regarding the release...

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Regarding the release...
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 21:13:33 +0300

Mike Thomas ?????:
Hi Vadim.

| In second tests I allocated some extra memory for cons
| cells before starting the test.  Performance improved
| dramatically and now only about 40% of time is GC.
| Finally some more RAM preallocated.  With such large RAM
| GC's almost disappear and GCL is almost 3 times
| faster than CMUCL.

This sounds great.  What commands did you use to add memory?

Cheers

Mike Thomas.

Usually I put something like this

(progn
  (si::allocate-relocatable-pages 2000 t)
  (si::allocate 'cons 10000 t)
  (si::allocate 'fixnum 200 t)
  (si::allocate 'cfun 1000 t)
  (si::allocate 'symbol 100 t)
  ;;(setq si::*notify-gbc* t)
  (si::gbc-time 0)
  )

into init.lsp.  Here the main
function is (si::allocate '<type> t)
which immediately allocates required space
of certain so called "implementation type".
allocate-relocatable-pages does the same thing
for relocatable blocks but I discovered that
it doesn't work in init.lsp and if you want
to increase space for relocatable blocks
you have to enter appropriate command
at GCL command prompt.
Finally, gbc-time initializes internal
GC time counter.