gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] 2.5.3 is released

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] 2.5.3 is released
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:31:31 +1000

Hi again.

| 3) In order for an FFI to be truly useful, it has to be symmetric, i.e.,
| you must be able call C from Lisp as well as Lisp from C.
|
| 4) I think UFFI is a great step forward. HOWEVER,
|     a) It isn't symmetric. See (3).

I withdraw my earlier mention of UFFI if this is correct - it would be
practically useless for most GUI interfaces for example.

| I think Maxima really needs a working, symmetric unified FFI that works
| with (at least) GCL, CMUCL, Clisp and ACL. The rest of Lisp community
| would benefit from such a thing, also.

Maybe a SWIG guru could come up with a SWIG interface for GCL?  I know that
someone has already been working on a primitive lisp back end.

There is an interesting extension of the current GCL FFI in the GCL-GL
library.  It adds the ability to pass pointers.  The pointers may point at
things such as structs and functions.  I haven't tried that package to see
whether it works however.  Here are some declarations from that package - in
"gl-bindings.lsp":

(foreign-function gluquadrictexture ((POINTER STRUCT) UNSIGNED-CHAR) VOID
"gluQuadricTexture")
(foreign-function gluquadriccallback ((POINTER STRUCT) INT (POINTER
FUNCTION)) VOID "gluQuadricCallback")
(foreign-function glucylinder ((POINTER STRUCT) DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE INT
INT) VOID "gluCylinder")

Cheers

Mike Thomas