gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] save-system/unexec

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] save-system/unexec
Date: 30 Jun 2003 11:02:15 -0400

Hello again!  There appear to be some issues, though non-critical,
with our save-system/unexec routines.  Specifically, one can compile
and link against dynamic libraries, run the binary, dump a system
preserving those dynamic library links, and then execute the saved
image without problems, until one changes the dynamic libraries
in some significant but as yet precisely unknown way, at which point
the previously saved image will segfault on attempted execution.  A
recompile clears the problem completely.  This only really shows up in
a distribution such as Debian, where a previously working gcl package
can be rendered unusable by a glibc upgrade.  This issue also appears
to be platform specific.  I've seen it 3 times on ia64, and once
apparently on sparc, and zero times thus far everywhere else.

Any thoughts?  Anyone knowledgeable about emacs 'unexec', which we
borrow almost without change?

Take care,