gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [gnu.org #48656] Re: GCL compliance with GNU GPL

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [gnu.org #48656] Re: GCL compliance with GNU GPL
Date: 01 Jul 2003 15:24:29 -0400

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 21:47, Camm Maguire wrote:

> It appears we have several options:
>
> 1) remove or replace readline in GCL and keep the LGPL
> 2) make use of the clause you cite below for a multiple license
>         strategy depending on whether readline is linked in.
> 3) make GCL GPL and add a note in the COPYING file allowing
>         proprietary images built with proprietary standard common lisp
>         code.
>
> My first question is concerning the difference in practice between the
> LGPL and the GPL with the clause as in 3).  Aren't they completely
> equivalent?  It would not appear that option 3) would pose a
> significant obstacle to anyone.

I'm not sure I fully understand clause 3.  Note that the LGPL's section
6 does impose some restrictions on software that links to the library.

> That having been said, I feel that, as long as the right to compile
> proprietary programs is safeguarded, the decision ought to be a
> strategic one made primarily by the FSF.  The code has copyright
> comments throughout listing primarily Dr. Schelter as the copyright
> holder, through a few other individuals are also named.  As the
> primary author is deceased, it would make sense to take some steps
> toward a transfer of the copyright to the FSF if this is at all
> possible.  I don't know if anyone else can be guaranteed to be around
> long enough to fulfill this role otherwise.

You would have to talk to RMS about FSF accepting copyright assignment,
and Dr. Schelter's heirs or assignees about assigning.

--
-Dave Turner
GPL Compliance Engineer