gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] defpackage non-compliant?

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] defpackage non-compliant?
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:24:57 +1000

Hi again and thanks for the reports and patch.

| Unfortunately, some issues are showstoppers for CLOCC/GCL:
|
| 1. logical pathnames.
|
| <http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp
/code/ext/lp/>
|    works almost out of the box with GCL (see the appended patch -
|    without it GCL segfaults - !!! - on the IN-PACKAGE form).
|    here "works" means "compiles and loads", not "conforms to the spec"!
|    some work will probably be needed.

I'm not a Lisp expert but I imagine that logical pathnames will be sorted as
part of the ANSIfication process for GCL.  Meanwhile, thanks for the patch.

| 2. GCL does not support the ANSI EVAL-WHEN situations
|    :COMPILE-TOPLEVEL, :LOAD-TOPLEVEL, :EXECUTE.
|    it should not be hard to make them synonymous with the obsolete
|    situations LOAD, COMPILE and EVAL (which is incorrect, strictly
|    speaking, but should be a good start).

I guess Paul/Camm will likewise be aware of this in the ANSIfication context
and one of us will move on it when able.

| 3. There appears to be no way to tell GCL to compile "foo.lisp" on
|    (COMPILE-FILE "foo"); quits with "no foo.lsp" message.

It looks as though the basic machinery must be there as:

>(pathname-type (compile-file-pathname "foo.lsp"))

"o"

>(pathname-type (compile-file-pathname "foo.lisp"))

"o"

so I'll add this to my list for the next fortnight.

| 4. I get this:
|
| >(compile-file "ext.lisp")
|
| Compiling ext.lisp.
| ; (IN-PACKAGE :PORT) is being compiled.
| ;; Warning: The package operation (IN-PACKAGE :PORT) was in a bad place.
| Error in COMPILER::T1EXPR [or a callee]: F1 is not of type LIST.
|
|    note that (IN-PACKAGE :PORT) comes right after (DEFPACKAGE "PORT" ...)

And Paul has commented on this already.

| oh well, I guess I will hibernate for while ...

Have a good one.

Mike Thomas