gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [gnu.org #48656] Re: GCL compliance with GNU GPL

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [gnu.org #48656] Re: GCL compliance with GNU GPL
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:02:03 -0400

    OK, so I take it that technically this means that, in Sam Steingold's
    approximate earlier words, that GCL has special permission to use
    readline under the LGPL.  Thanks!

We seem to be having a misunderstanding.  I did not say that.  You
can't "use readline under the LGPL".  Readline is released under the
GPL, and only the GPL.

The LGPL is compatible with the GPL.  GCL can be released under the
LGPL, and used without Readline under the LGPL.

When you combine GCL and Readline, the license that applies to the
combination is the GPL.