gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] emacsdir and infodir

From: Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll
Subject: [Gcl-devel] emacsdir and infodir
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:55:58 +0200

Hi,

I was installing GCL today and it stroke me that emacsdir and infodir do not
use the value of --prefix to compute a reasonable directory. Why?

If I set --prefix=$HOME because I do not have root privileges to install into
/usr or /usr/local, it is quite reasonable that I will also not be able to
install the emacs file and the info in /usr/share, /usr/info, etc.

Since autoconf has as standard variables "infodir" and "lispdir", which use
the value of "prefix", and can also be customized at configuration time using
--infodir=... --lispdir=..., I would suggest that GCL be fixed to conform to
this standard.

Regards,

Juanjo

--
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Quantenoptik   +49/(0)89/32905-345
Hans-Kopfermann-Str. 1, D-85748         www.mpq.mpg.de/Theorygroup/CIRAC/