gcl-devel

Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [gnu.org #48656] Re: GCL compl

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [gnu.org #48656] Re: GCL compliance with GNU GPL
Date: 17 Jul 2003 23:21:21 -0400

Greetings!  The BFD library linking is a recent addition, and could be
removed if necessary, though it would force us back to
dlopen/non-permanent object loading on all but two of the 6 platforms
which we thus support at present.  If need be I suppose we could
expand on the custom reloc code already in the tree. Richard
is of course right here that static or dynamic linking is not
relevant.

The unexec routines from emacs were definitely in place when GCL was
maintained by Dr. Schelter.  Surely the license issues must have been
worked out at that time?  To my understanding, the only function
needed from emacs is unexec -- the files listed my Mike are those
needed to support this function on several architectures.

How much of an issue is it really if we just place GCL under the GPL?
Do we know of anyone who would be inconvenienced by this?

Take care,