gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Re: GCL compliance and Bill Schelt

From: Adam Warner
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Re: GCL compliance and Bill Schelter
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 14:51:16 +1200

Hi Camm Maguire,

> 1) I think it is important to restate that one is completely free to
>    sell a GPL'ed program commercially.  I'd guess that at present, more
>    money is made from sales of GPL'ed GNU/Linux (e.g. Redhat, Suse, IBM,
>    etc.) than from sales of closed source BSD derivatives.

Great summary (snipped) of what a proprietary fork means. Please however
note that SuSE's distribution contains proprietary portions that limit
distribution unlike Red Hat or Debian GNU/Linux ISO images.

SuSE achieves this by their licence on YaST:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/8.1/COPYRIGHT.yast

Regards,
Adam