gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] OpenGL & foreign.lsp & 2.5.8

From: Michael Koehne
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] OpenGL & foreign.lsp & 2.5.8
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 02:23:14 +0200

Moin Camm Maguire,

> >   - I wonder where to find the official 2.5.3 source ?
> >     i found a copy in the Debian pool - but what happend to ftp.gnu.org ?
> For some reason, savannah has taken it temporarily off line:
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl/gcl-2.5.3.tar.gz.back-RSN.README
> The following files are not available because their authenticity is being
> confirmed.  We expect to have them uploaded Real Soon Now (RSN).

  *nod* I also read this message - and wondered where to get the
  newer and official version, if not from gnu.org.

  they perhaps just want a FAX (stating, that you are a real human,
  and that the code you publish is realy under GPL ;) or they want
  some upstream with cryptographic signature.

> Don't know about xgcl2.  Can you enlighten?

  ~src/gcl-2.5.3/xgcl-2 - its part of GCL for some time.

> Sounds like you're the X GUI guru we've been looking for :-)!

  *oups* no *blush* but I'm currently playing around with LISP and OpenGL,
  and realy wonder why its working.

> >   - foreign.lsp looks realy old, throwing warnings like :
> >       Warning: The package operation (EXPORT '(GL_FALSE GL_TRUE GL_BYTE
> >        [ ... severl lines deleted ... ]
> >       GLX_SAMPLE_BUFFER_SGIS)) was in a bad place.
> >     what does this mean - and how to get rid of them, besides patching
> >     cmpnew/cmptop.lsp to ingore them ?
> So if it finds package operations after non-package operations, the
> compiler prints this warning, to let the user know that this reordering
> has taken place.

  The OpenGL bindings, I'm currently play around with, are based on
  "foreign.lsp" by Paul Viola - and I think that they show the power
  of the LISP to abstract and simplyfy things. The package looks like:

  (make-package 'GL :use '("LISP"))
  (in-package :GL)
  (provide 'GL)
  ;;; continues with loading
  (eval-when (compile) (load "foreign.lsp"))
  ;;; is doing lots of
  (foreign-define GL_FALSE 0)
  (foreign-define GL_TRUE 1)
  ;;; and lots of
  (foreign-function glclearindex (FLOAT) VOID "glClearIndex")
  (foreign-function glclearcolor (FLOAT FLOAT FLOAT FLOAT) VOID "glClearColor")
  ;;; and last
  (export-all-foreign-symbols)

  the complete idea of "foreign.lsp", is to build the definitions and
  functions on the fly, and to export them at the end of the file.
  This will raise the "in a bad place" warning, if I understood you
  correctly. Is there any way to rearrange this example or the
  foreigh.lsp, not to raise the warnings ?

Bye Michael

PS:  I've attached the "foreign.lsp" - lets hope the mailing list
  likes multi-part mime.
--
  mailto:address@hidden             UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:2.4.18'UNZ+1'
  http://www.xml-edifact.org/           CETERUM CENSEO WINDOWS ESSE DELENDAM