gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] gcl versions

From: Matt Kaufmann
Subject: [Gcl-devel] gcl versions
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:56:22 -0500

Hi, Camm --

I just heard from an ACL2 user who was unaware that GCL's known problems with
Sun/Solaris have been fixed.  (At least, I have the impression that GCL now
runs on Solaris from this week's email with the UT El Paso guys.)

I think it would be useful to have a page making it clear how to get the latest
version of GCL, and what known killer bugs it might have (like the recursive
fixnum GC problem, but not smaller things).  For starters I'd be happy to
create such a page, linked to by way of the ACL2 home page, if I knew what to
put into it.  I'm imagining something like the following, but I don't know if
what I say is accurate or appropriate; it's still confusing to me which of the
three approaches a new user (or I, for that matter) should take.  Any
suggestions?

Here are instructions for obtaining GCL (try these in the order shown):

o Latest release and packages:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl/gcl.html

o The very latest GCL, assuming you have CVS installed on your system (see
  http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=gcl if you want more information on this):

    cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/gcl login
    cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/gcl checkout gcl

o Recent CVS versions:

  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcl/cvs/

By the way, several links under the menu at
http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl/gcl.html are broken, perhaps because
ftp://ftp.gnu.org is down; any idea when that will be fixed?

Thanks much --
-- Matt