gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] gcl versions

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] gcl versions
Date: 12 Sep 2003 17:33:55 -0400

Hi Matt!

Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, Camm --
>
> I just heard from an ACL2 user who was unaware that GCL's known problems with
> Sun/Solaris have been fixed.  (At least, I have the impression that GCL now
> runs on Solaris from this week's email with the UT El Paso guys.)

I still don't know what the original difficulty was, but I will write
them to find out.  Of course I'd like the build to be as transparent
as possible.  Am a bit behind on my email, as I've been pushing
through a few changes.

> I think it would be useful to have a page making it clear how to get the
> latest
> version of GCL, and what known killer bugs it might have (like the recursive
> fixnum GC problem, but not smaller things).  For starters I'd be happy to
> create such a page, linked to by way of the ACL2 home page, if I knew what to
> put into it.  I'm imagining something like the following, but I don't know if
> what I say is accurate or appropriate; it's still confusing to me which of the
> three approaches a new user (or I, for that matter) should take.  Any
> suggestions?

This of course would be a good idea, and the project homepage is a
likely venue.  How far back in terms of gcl versions should we
document?  The recursive Windows issue was really old.  (BTW, has the
user who reported this tried a new build with success?)

I'm unaware of any killer bugs at present.  The last one I knew of was
the GC bug you brought to my attention.  Are there others?

When ftp.gnu.org gets back up, we plan to have official source tarball
releases under gnu/gcl, stable binary builds of these under
gnu/gcl/stable-binary, and latest cvs snapshot binary builds under
gnu/gcl/cvs.  Unfortunately, ftp.gnu.org is apparently down for some
considerable time.  I've written to the admins several times with no
human response.

In the meantime, we have stable (2.6.1) and unstable (2.7.0) cvs
branches, and binary and source tarballs via debian.org.  Adding -r
Version_2_6_1 pulls the former; the latter is pulled by default.
Stable .deb packages are called gcl_...., and unstable (soon to be
released) as gclcvs.....

Anyway, suggestions on easing distribution and information transfer
are always appreciated.  I can stick the above paragraph on the
homepage if desired.  But more than likely this setup requires some
user-friendliness feedback :-).

Take care,