gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] axiom s390

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] axiom s390
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:17:36 -0400

Greetings!  Gerhard, axiom has recently been released (preliminary
CVS), and a Debian package uploaded to unstable.  GCL is used to
compile the source for Debian.  As you may remember, you've helped me
in the past with getting mprotect working on s390 in order to enable
efficient garbage collection in gcl-compiled programs on this
platform.  And now, GCL compiles itself, maxima, and acl2 with full
optimization on s390 passing all tests.

With axiom, however, there is a gcc 3.3 bug which causes the build to
fail unless -O0 is used.  I've tried isolating it, but to no avail
thus far.  I'd hate to remove optimization across the board for GCL,
maxima and acl2 to work around this bug for axiom, but it may be worth
it if nothing else can be done.  Axiom is a very sophisticated
computer algebra system.

Do you or others have interest in axiom for s390?  If so, would you or
one of your colleagues be willing to help me spot the gcc optimization
bug?  I have all the necessary files currently on trex.

Take care,