gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] New design for Axiom web site

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] New design for Axiom web site
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:24:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mark Murray <address@hidden> wrote:
> David MENTRE writes:
> > > May I please suggest that we collectively move toward an axiom
> build
> > > with an externally installed GCL?
> >
> > I totally agree with Camm proposal. And keeping the current
> > configuration would be a nobrainer, just put a gcl-2.6.1.tgz in the
> > zips/ directory.
>
> I'd like to see the situation where the lisp compiler is completely
> external to the AXIOM build, so that the AXIOM build does not build
> its own lisp, rather it uses one athat is already present. Likewise
> for tools such as noweb.

I agree.  In the case of Gentoo Linux, some special configure options
are needed to build gcl.  So to do an axiom ebuild, it would be
necessary to make changes and maintain them across Axiom releases.

> > The only "issue" I see is that Tim is opposed to any kind of
> > configure script. We could add a 'make external-gcl' target.

Out of curiosity, what are the objections to a configure/make style
arrangement like Maxima's?  Perhaps something other than autoconf could
be used, a simpler system that just handled checking for the right
tools?  Failing that, a make external-gcl would be very nice.

One of these days I'll work on an Axiom ebuild for gentoo, but the
initial build attempt failed when I tried it a while back and my
machine is down now.  Maybe it would work, but IIRC it failed on the
gcl build, which has always been a headache on Gentoo.

CY