gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] native relocation on Mac OS X

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] native relocation on Mac OS X
Date: 04 Oct 2003 12:36:07 -0400

Great work Aurelian!

1) Do you have access to a publicly accesible ftp directory which I
   may poll in the webpage autoupdate script?  If you upload files
   with, say, the name gcl_.*_macosx.tar.gz there, where .* is a
   version string, the script will install the latest built binary
   tarball on the website.

Aurelien Chanudet <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> As a first step towards using BFD to perform native relocation on Mac
> OS X, I've written some code to load, link and natively relocate
> object files on Mac OS X. As a result, fasloading can now be achieved
> without using the external ld linker.

I think there is a small confusion -- you've been using cust-reloc
thus far, and this method, as well as the bfd method, do not use the
external ld (or ld.so).  Only images using dlopen *must* build maxima,
acl2, and axiom via the external ld (e.g. the alternate maxima gcl
link, the compiler::link patches I've posted to the axiom list
recently under the section labeled '2)').  Other images *can* use the
external ld linking method if they prefer, but *native* relocation and
image saving with a simple call to save-system works as well and is
generally preferred.  You might want to look at the longish post I
submitted recently to the axiom list.

> This took me longer than expected, because I had to manually address
> relocation overflows that might occur when the branch displacement
> does not fit in 24 bits. I know gcc 3.3 has a "-mlongcall" flag but
> I'm still using gcc 3.1 for some other reason. (Apple's gcc has its
> own "-mlongbranch" flag, but this didn't help, though.)

I've found that some of the acl2 tests on powerpc-linux fail unless I
use -mlongcall for the same reason.  configure puts in this switch
automatically for ppc linux.

2) At some point, we need to setup configure defaults for your macosx
   build.

> The first good news is that Maxima 5.9.0 now successfully compiles
> without the alternate linking mechanism. "make check" chokes on
> "Problem 43". I suspect this corresponds to the 3rd issue listed under
> the "Know issues" section of the "NEWS" file included in the source
> directory.

Should be one known failure in maxima's 'make check'.

> The second good news is that acl2 also compiles fine. I've run "make
> check" yet for acl2, as this took me over one night the last time I
> did it, but I'm planning to.

Great!

3) Are you in touch with Tim Daly regarding GCL/Mac/axiom?

4) Is your latest posted patch list the latest?  I'd like to merge in
   any changes you've needed.

5) Is your bfd linking working though a patch to the GCL bfd tree,
   i.e. you use locbfd?  If so, perhaps we could convince BFD upstream
   to apply it?