gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] How do I compile Maxima with debugging informat

From: Richard Fateman
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] How do I compile Maxima with debugging information?
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:00:56 -0700

Debugging tools in Allegro CL are described in
http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.2/doc/debugging.htm

I would be interested in an analysis of how this
differs from the current GCL or CMUCL or CLISP situation.

While I have used conceptual predecessors of gdb, I have not
used them extensively or recently. My impression is that they are
not really suited for a functional programming style.  Of course
you can do almost anything in a low level debugger if you try
hard enough. (I think that on the ITS system the debugger and the
assembler were essentially the same program.)

RJF

Camm Maguire wrote:

Greetings!  I'm also interested in debugging facilities for lisp, and
would like to make the GCL debugger more useful.

Could you elaborate on what features you find useful in ACL which are
missing from GCL?

Though I haven't researched the lisp options extensively, its hard to
conceive of a better debugger than gdb.  And fortunately, as GCL
compiles to C, we may be able to design a lisp front end to gdb in
analogy with its fortran front end.

Take care,

Richard Fateman <address@hidden> writes:

by the way... the debugging tools vary depending upon
the underlying lisp. They are not part of the ANSI
standard. There is no requirement that local variables
be accessible in a break. In fact they may not exist
if the system always compiles functions and removed the
variables by optimization.

 The commercial macsyma debugging
tools seem to be fairly poor, though it could be that
I just don't have any documentation!!

My recollection of the AKCL system (now GCL) was that
the debugging tools were also fairly limited, at least
compared to Allegro CL, which I generally use.

I do not have much experience with CMUCL, except I
recall that the CMUCL compiler was slow and verbose,
but produced good code.

I have not used CLISP.

RJF