gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Beginner: Trouble with CLOS

From: William Young
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Beginner: Trouble with CLOS
Date: 16 Oct 2003 21:44:35 -0400

Hi all,

First of all thanks for maintaining GCL.  I'm new to Lisp, and I'm eager
to learn it.  To that end, I have a few good CL books, and I'm trying
the exercises.

I'm using GCL 2.5.2 on an x86 Debian GNU/Linux (woody) system.

My current problem is GCL doesn't seem to know what DEFCLASS is.

When I try:

(defclass my-class ()
        ()
        (:documentation "My Test Class"))

I get the following message:

Error: The function DEFCLASS is undefined.

Why is this happening?  Do I need a newer version of GCL?  Do I need to
change to a particular package?

I've looked in the list archives, but haven't found anything that
appeared to answer my question.

My apologies for the extremely basic level of my question on this list,
but I'm not sure where else to ask.

Thanks
Bill Young