gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] Windows GCL 2.6.1 compiler bug?

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] Windows GCL 2.6.1 compiler bug?
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:33:57 -0400

> On Tuesday, October 21, 2003 4:24 PM
> Bill Page wrote:
>
> GCL developers;
>
> While attempting to compile Axiom under Windows I get the
> following error message during compilation within GCL. Is
> there a GCL bug here or am I doing something wrong? A copy of
> the file boothdr.lisp is attached.

Ahh, I have found my error. GCL for windows requires
gcc 3.3.1 (which is included in the GCL binary distribution)
but I had previously installed MSYS/MinGW with a slightly
older version of gcc 3.2. Apparently when GCL runs the
C compiler it only refers to it as 'gcc' and gcc 3.2 was
the first one in the path. gcc 3.2 does not support the
required -fno-zero-initialized-in-bss option.

Perhaps GCL on windows should make specific reference to
the version of gcc that it installs. Or better, perhaps the
./configure could detect whether you already have a previous
version of gcc installed, the way I presume that it does
under linux.

Cheers,
Bill Page.