gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Recent ansi fixes

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Recent ansi fixes
Date: 25 Oct 2003 13:05:41 -0400

Greetings!

"Paul F. Dietz" <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Great, and thanks!  Please let me know if you find any other such
> > failures, as they are of sufficient priority IMHO to go into a stable
> > patch.
>
> 150,000 iterations showed no failures.

Great!  Just wondering here, I know we still are not implementing as
much stuff as clisp and cmucl, but how 'solid' is our compiler, at
what it does, in comparison with these others in your opinion?

> > BTW, have been readline on load-time-value, and can only see how this
> > would modify compile-file, not compile, e.g. that its implementation
> > will not aid in the solution of our compile literal object copying.
> > True?
>
> If COMPILE were implemented using file compilation (which I thought
> gcl did), then inserting appropriate LOAD-TIME-VALUE forms could make
> the semantics come out right even if the file compiler doesn't preserve
> literal identity.

Ah, enlightenment!  We do indeed base compile on compile-file.

1) The devil is in the term 'appropriate'.  When walking the form, can
   one simply wrap evrey symbol with this function?
2) How does this strategy compare with the other I posted in your
   opinion?  The tricky part in the latter is at least twofold -- a)
   one needs a macro to protect against the evaluation of the
   &optional def on the compile command line (a la compile.5), but one
   also needs to walk the form after evalutation (inside my posted
   compile-internal) as if the def is named by a symbol on the command
   line, there is apparently no way to get at it in the macro.  As in
   1), a big question is in coming up with a minimal set of object in
   the form that need gensyming.  What constitutes a 'literal object'
   -- can't find a clear definition in the spec.

Take care,