gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: ia64 function descriptors and unexec

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: ia64 function descriptors and unexec
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:28:57 +0100

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

> To sum up the previous discussion, the ia64 linux ABI apparently
> offers no opportunity for ld.so to ensure that function descriptors
> remain constant, even over successive executions of the same binary on
> the same machine.

There is no problem with statically initialized function pointers, only
for assigned pointer at runtime.  The function descriptors for the former
are generated at compile time and won't ever change.

> I believe that this issue stood in the way of an emacs port to ia64
> linux for some time,

There is no such problem with GNU Emacs.  Only XEmacs has this problem.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, address@hidden
SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg