gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Mach-O BFD back-end

From: Aurelien Chanudet
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Mach-O BFD back-end
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:34:58 +0100

> I'm just wondering now if macosx happens to use a gp pointer in its
> relocation logic. An example implementation of
> bfd_get_relocated_section_contents on such a machine would likely open
> up in one step all the remaining others. My guess though is that
> macosx is closer to ppc linux instead.

To keep a long story short: no, it does not. I guess you're referring
to the gp register that points to the GOT (Global Offset Table) in ELF.
The primary difference between Mach-O and ELF is that Mach-O code references
data using a direct offset, while ELF indirects all data access through
the global offset table.

Aurelien