gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: ia64 function descriptors and unexec

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: ia64 function descriptors and unexec
Date: 31 Oct 2003 17:47:52 -0500

Greetings!

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Greetings!

> >> Since GNU Emacs does not assign function pointers at runtime there was
> >> never such a problem.
> >>

> > Could you please sketch how this is accomplished in emacs, given its
> > lisp base?
> [...]
> > Or are all lisp function objects statically defined in C source files as
> > explicitly initialized structures?
>
> Yes.

These three very helpful little letters have given me the idea which I
hope will be a stable once and for all solution to this problem and
any future others like it.  Far better than trying to probe ld.so's
function descriptor table, I should rather ammend the lisp compiler to
write a static function structure into each produced C source file
before compilation, with the structure's pointer element statically
initialized to the static function in the same file.  I then use the
address for this structure at runtime in setting the lisp symbol's
function definition.  This should work, right?

Take care,