gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Problems building gcl-2.6.1-18 on Solaris 8 (SPARC)

From: MAISONOBE Luc
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Problems building gcl-2.6.1-18 on Solaris 8 (SPARC)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:07:45 +0100

John Tang Boyland wrote :
I removed the last line of the makefile which said that saved_pcl_gcl
was INTERMEDIATE.  Then I was able to make and then run the code that
crashed.  It still crashes in "exit", just like before with 3.2.1:
whatever happened, it doesn't do better in gcc3.3!  It's not exit per
se, it's exit after registering something as a global destructor
apparently).  And also it doesn't happen with saved_pre_gcl or saved_gcl,
only with saved_pcl_gcl.  My guess would that one of the .o's you load
puts something in the destructor list and either is buggy (nonportable) or there's some bad interaction with the way images are dumped.

I remember having a similar problem with gcc 3.2.x some months ago while building emacs. The dumped emacs crashes on exit due to a destructor list interpreted as holding pointer that were all null. I filed a bug in emacs list and rms forwarded it to gcc at that time. Someone thought it was due to my linker and suggested me to switch to binutils. As this induced other problems, I finally gave up. My problem at this time was triggered by linking or not a third party library in the application (I think it was libpng, but I am not sure).

The problem occurred despite all elements were C libraries (I think this destructor list is set up regardless of the language and is used only by some of them, Objective C and C++ probably). It should probably remain empty and considered as such when only C is involved, but it somehow corrupted during the unexec procedure.

I am not able to reproduce the problem anymore with latest emacs and gcc.

                                                            Luc