gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] A bug in makefile for Windows port

From: michel . lavaud
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] A bug in makefile for Windows port
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:35:54 +0100

Hello,

> Greetings, and thanks for your report.  I'm  cc'ing our Windows
> developer, who I believe is away at the moment, so please be patient.
> I'd like his input before trying to commit anything.

Yes, of course :-)

> Perhaps someone could fill me in at some point on whether
> 1) All these versions of Windows are binary compatible

- the binary version can be used on all versions of recent Windows 32 bits
(Win95/98/98SE/ME/NT4.0/2000/XP). It cannot be used only on the oldest
Windows 3.1 + 32bits extensions.  For Win95 and WinNT4.0, some extra dll
(not included in these OS) are needed, as far as I remember from my tests.

> 2) If two different .bat files are needed

With the algorithm used in gcl/makefile to build gclm.bat, there are two
cases to get the current directory, one for Win9x (95/98/ME) and another
for WinNTx (4.0/2000/XP), that are regrouped in one bat file (gclm.bat).
The problem I am pointing is just that the part of gclm.bat for Win9x,
generated by makefile, is broken. So, for the sake of rigor, I think it
would be better either to add "build gcl under Windows 2000/XP only" in
readme.mingw, or correct the makefile.

> 3) If we can't make the 'version origin' the files majvers and
>         minvers, which do wind up setting si::*gcl-version* in the
>         image itself.

Well, I think the version number used to be obtained from these files, but
I reported a problem a long time ago due (if I remember well) to
differences between end of lines in Windows and Linux, that made the
concatenation of the two numbers not working correctly during the build
process?

There is also another point that I noted and that maybe could be added
also to the  readme.mingw file : it seems that texi2html ought to be
installed on the top of mingw + msys, at least with the latest versions of
Mingw, msys and msysDTK.

Best wishes

address@hidden
http://www.univ-orleans.fr/EXT/ASTEX
ftp://ftp.univ-orleans.fr/pub/tex/PC/AsTeX
liste de discussion: address@hidden
Abonnement à la liste: envoyer un message de contenu
"sub astex Nom Prenom Etablissement" à address@hidden