gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] compiler::link and ansi

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] compiler::link and ansi
Date: 24 Nov 2003 11:18:33 -0500

Greetings, and thank you Michael for your great work on this stuff!

Michael Koehne <address@hidden> writes:

> Moin Guru's,
>
>   I think I have it half -
>
>       http://www.copyleft.de/lisp/gcl-elf-loader-0.11.tar.gz
>
>   is now able to compiler::link its loader into a GCL with
>   ANSI and readline enabled, if using the gclcvs from Debian
>   - but only partly, because if I use a current checkout and
>
>       ./configure --enable-ansi --enable-readine &&
>           make &&
>           sudo make install
>
>   it, link the elf-loader with :
>
>       gcl -batch -eval '(compiler::link '("elf-loader.o") "gclelf" nil
> "-ldl")'
>
>   I gain :
>
>       Error: Cannot open the file
> /usr/local/lib/gcl-2.7.0/unixport/../clcs/myload1.lisp.
>
>   if I cpio clcs from source, i gain :
>
>       Error: Cannot open the file ../clcs/clcs_macros.lisp.
>
>   and I finaly have a running version, after editing myload1.lisp and
>   myload.lisp. And it looks, as if I still have ANSI and readline!
>
>   The remaining question's:
>
>   - why is there no /clcs/ in the Debian /usr/lib/gcl-2.7.0/, but its
>     required in my /usr/local/ configuration ?

This is a bug.  Until we find a better way, I'm going to have to
export these two files as well in the make install stage.  Thanks for
pointing this out!  I've just committed a fix  (please test if you
have a moment).

>   - why is there a need to compile and edit /clcs/ ?

This was in the path of fixing one of Paul's ansi test suite
failures.  Here is the log entry (2.7.0-12):

  * Add clcs_macros and clcs package info to image before pcl build, as
    walker needs final forms of certain macros/fuctions to generate
    correct generic function calls, and clcs replaces/shadows some semi-
    equivalent macros/functions in the traditional image, e.g.
    etypecase, etc.

In brief, pcl needs the final definitions of etypecase, etc, before it
initializes itself via is code walker.  And clcs shadows certain
symbols in the traditional image.  clcs likewise depends on pcl.  So
we have a bit of a dependency cirle.  My current resolution, which
doubtlessly can be improved, is

load certain clcs code shadowing symbols in traditional image (source)
init pcl
init compiled clcs

Take care,