gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] [Re: Executable memory: further programs that fail]

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Gcl-devel] [Re: Executable memory: further programs that fail]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:25:04 -0500

Some hints from the Fedora Core mailing list about making programs
run under exec-shield.

Tim

From: Ingo Molnar <address@hidden>
To: Fedora Development <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 05:42:27 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Gerard Milmeister wrote:

> So is it alright to include in Fedora packages that require exec-shield
> to be turned off? Should there be a wrapper-script that calls the main
> executable with 'setarch'?

all 'third party' apps will run with exec-shield disabled by default.

_Iff_ a package is recompiled under Fedora (using Fedora's gcc and
binutils) then you might end up with an app that has exec-shield enabled
although the app itself for whatever reason has some executability
assumption.

In this case there are myriads of ways to make the app work again:

 - use 'setarch i386 <app>' [or rather, use the 'i386 <app>' shortcut]

 - add this gcc option to the CFLAGS in the Makefile:

        -Wa,--execstack

 - add the following oneliner anywhere in the app's source in an assembly
   file to disable exec-shield:

        .section .note.GNU-stack, "x", @progbits; .previous

 - disable exec-shield globally, put "kernel.exec-shield = 0" into
   /etc/sysctl.conf.

 - the preferred solution: fix the app itself to not assume executability
   of non-executable regions or not hardcode any VM properties such as
   'mmaps start at 2 GB'. Both assumptions are illegal and these apps will
   likely break on 64-bit architectures too, so they should be fixed. Note
   that typically the changes needed are quite simple.

in any case, please keep reporting apps that need an executable stack, we
want to track them all down and fix them for good. Fortunately 99.9% of
the 5000+ binaries in a full Fedora Core 1 install work out of box.

note that there are also prelink related problems, which we want to know
about and fix just as much, but which should not be confused with
exec-shield problems. Sometimes these do get mixed up.

(in any case, please also read the extensive description provided by
Roland McGrath's "exec-shield mmap & brk randomization" email.)

        Ingo

- --
fedora-devel-list mailing list
address@hidden