gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: LISP package external symbols

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: LISP package external symbols
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:00:53 -0600

Camm Maguire wrote:

Robert Boyer <address@hidden> writes:

Here is a more constructive message on what is external to the LISP package
in GCL vs. what is supposed to be according to the Hyperspec.  First
I list the offending symbols.  Then I list very simple code for computing
these differences.

A lisp implementation that is compliant with the ANSI standard needn't
have a package named LISP at all.  The standard package that is required
is COMMON-LISP (with nickname CL).  Many of the symbols you are looking
for are external symbols in the COMMON-LISP package.  The package LISP
(if it is provided) is not required to be the same as COMMON-LISP.  Portable
ansi CL code should not use the LISP package.

gcl has had too many external symbols in the COMMON-LISP
package, though (1104 in the version of gcl I have here built with
--enable-ansi; cvs head may be different.)

        Paul