gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Access to ftp.gnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Access to ftp.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:44:39 +0100

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> said:

> Greetings!  Before the compromise to ftp.gnu.org, I had ssh access via
> gnudist.gnu.org for the purposes of maintaining and uploading GCL
> releases.  After the compromise, ssh access to this box has been
> apparently disabled.  I've written several times (to
> address@hidden) trying to regain access, but in vain.  Is there
> another address to which I should write?

Not specifically. It is a pity that you did not get any answer (but
people at address@hidden is usually very busy) but my assumption
is that shell access will no longer be given on that computer, but a
securized way to make upload, with gpg, is available.

I do not remember exactly the specific, people at address@hidden
will be able to provide more accurate information.

However, providing shell access to people other than administrators on
servers is usually a very bad choice, understable for historical
reasons but not for technical ones. In these days, there's no way to
be sure that no user account will be always safe. And once a user
account is cracked, the root account is about to be cracked too...

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |