gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Frame stack overflow - limit parameter to increase somew

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Frame stack overflow - limit parameter to increase somewhere?
Date: 11 Dec 2003 11:13:38 -0500

Greetings!

"Vadim V. Zhytnikov" <address@hidden> writes:

> Gunther Schadow ?????:
> > I don't know if it matters but I applied the *multiply-stacks*
> > factor to a saved image of the compiled and loaded program.
> > Should I only do it with a fresh gcl start before loading
> > the compiled object?
> > -Gunther
> >

> (1) Start GCL
> (2) Type
>    (setq si::*miltiply-stacks* 8)
> GCL should respond with new startup banner.
> This is the only indication that stack are
> really reset. If not then something is wrong.
> As far as I know this trick works only at
> top level GCL prompt.  It doesn't work e.g.
> in Maxima.  I really don't understand why
> *multiply-stack* is implemented this way.
> Can't we have some (si::multiply-stacks n)
> function to use it with any other GCL
> generated image such as Maxima?
> I understand that we probably have to call
> this (multiply-stacks n) at the very beginning
> before doing any calculation. But I don't
> think it is a serious problem but I might be
> wrong.

The algorihm used could easily go in a function -- the problem is I
don't yet fully understand how the old stack locations are
invalidated.  I'm guessing that somehow it is ensured that no pointers
in the heap are referring to the stack when *multiply-stacks* is set
at this toplevel point, which would seem to be essential, though I'm
not sure how it is actually ensured.  We could of course provide a
function with which to experiment if you feel this is important.
Right now it appears we have more pressing tasks, to me at least.

Take care,