gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Maxima GCL init file update

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Maxima GCL init file update
Date: 12 Dec 2003 10:54:20 -0500

Greetings!

"Vadim V. Zhytnikov" <address@hidden> writes:

> Mostly tests with large polynomials - ratsimp, expand, factor.
> On all these tests GCL is slower due to larger percent of GC
> time even with new memory allocation parameters.

OK -- does this mean that *all* of the slowdown can be attributable to
gc?  How do the times when subtracting out gbc compare?

> And I don't think that further allocation parameters
> tweaking could give any serious performance boost
> (only at the cost of large memory allocation which
> is not the thing we want).
> Further enhancement require more intricate
> improvements like (1) generate less garbage as you
> suggested (2) improve GC timing if there is any
> possibility (profiling...).

Have a forthcoming post on this one.  In any case, can you also
compare "the amount of garbage processed" with cmucl, roughly the sum
of the heap sizes at each gbc call, though some calls could wind up
processing only a subset of the heap.  There is a DEBUG C define used
in gbc.c which may help in this analysis.

Take care,