gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Memory menagement problem on Windows

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Memory menagement problem on Windows
Date: 12 Dec 2003 11:02:40 -0500

Greetings!

"Vadim V. Zhytnikov" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> As far as I recall there were some reports
> about GCL problems on Windows.  Probably
> with memory allocation and/or garbage collection.
> Indeed, playing with memory allocation
> I observe some strange things with latest
> gcl 2.6.1 mingw build.  It is very easy
> to crash GCL -  just enter
>    (si::set-hole-size 65000)
>    (gbc t)
> With smaller hole size (but but larger than default)
> I also see sudden crashes during computation.
> Unfortunately I don't see the error message
> GCL is terminated with.
> Is this "Unrecoverable error: GBC is not enabled."
> or something else?
> In any case it seems that problems require
> some special attention.

OK, this is all consistent, whether you get this error or the "Can't
allocate" as you reported with the ansi image.  In effect, you can
only allocate half your alotted heap.  Can you please compile with
--enable-debug, run under gdb, break at either this point in the
traditional build of the "Can't allocate" error line in the ansi
build, run your test, and report a backtrace?

Take care,