gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on mingw - patches

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on mingw - patches
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:41:43 +0300

Mike Thomas ?????:
Hi Vadim.

Thanks very much for helping with the Windows port - I count myself lucky
(and very relieved)!

| I'm posting a couple of patches intended to fix
| GCL problems on mingw.  Some of them should be
| eventually committed to to CVS (well, maybe
| with some modification) others are optional.
| In any case with these patches I was able to
| build ANSI GCL, latest CVS Maxima and
| successfully test both programs.

Thanks for these.

| gcl-pwd.patch - fixes GCL's ./configure failure
| due to strange mingw #include "..." behavior.
| I don't see that is wrong with it for other
| platforms.

This was fixed in CVS (both head and stable) a few months ago.

Ah, I'm sorry. I've started my mingw experiments with
somewhat outdated gcl 2.6.1 sources where the problem
was not fixed yet.  Later switching to "latest cvs"
I didn't notice the fix.

BTW, my experience with mingw is quite limited so
could you enlighten me about one point.
I wonder about automake/autoconf on mingw.
It seems that msysDTK includes perl, m4 and
autoconf/automake scripts but not special
perl and m4 modules required to run autoconf.
So if I just install mingw, MSYS and msysDTK
don't get workable automake/autoconf.
Is it true or I'm missing something?

| gcl-heap-size.patch - removes hard coded 256Mb
| heap size limit on mingw.  It works.  I checked
| at least with default 128K maxpege against cons
| allocation tests and some heavy tests with Maxima.

| gcl-makefile.patch - fixes make install path
| and version problem.

Both the above patches tested here and checked into HEAD today.

Thanks.

| Finally, two other patches are included for
| convenience:
|
| gcl-pcl.patch is required to build _ANSI_ GCL
| as required by current CVS Maxima.
|
| gcl-gcc.patch is required if gcc version is
| older than 3.3.X.

Thanks.  I've left these to the comments in mingw.defs and
the documentation.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.

One suggestion about gcl.bat script.
It is good idea to place "" around %PATH%
This helps if path has directories with spaces.
In this case original path command in the
gcl.bat fails.

Finally I wonder about gclm.bat.  Strange but
it doesn't work to me on both Win XP and Win Me.
Maybe we should replace it by a simpler script -
something like gcl.bat but with GCL installation
path in some environment variable?

Best wishes,

Vadim

--