gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] HEAD Maxima and HEAD trad GCL

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] HEAD Maxima and HEAD trad GCL
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:52:56 +0300

Camm Maguire ?????:

Hi Mike!  Welcome back from the holidays!

Mike Thomas <address@hidden> writes:

Hi all..

Camm wrote:

> The maxima developers have decided to require our ansi
> build, and cvs head reflects this, to my understanding.

OK, but defpackage in the HEAD CLtL1 build is missing.

Yes, in HEAD I've restored the cltl1 build to the original lsp and
cmpnew files only, and separated out our non-pcl and non-clcs
additions into a mod/ directory, which gets built only when ansi is
configured in.  The idea being to give legacy apps the smallest core
to which they have been accustomed.
We could rethink this two image approach at some point and consider a
shipping a small core with autoloadable modules.  This is of course
down the road.

>(apropos "defpackage")

The stable branch seems OK in this regard however.

Yes, see above.  Do you need defpackage when you don't need ansi?

Jim wrote:

> Camm is correct. There was a brief discussion on this point on the
> various mailing lists in the past few months. I didn't see a compelling
> reason to continue to fight to keep maxima compatible with the cltl1 gcl
> build. If you forsee a problem with that decision, please say so.

Sorry; I had delivery of the Maxima list turned off until yesterday and missed
that discussion
while I was away. I think that movement towards ANSI standardisation of the
Lisp dialect is a good
move for Maxima.  I also agree that you shouldn't have to struggle to support
two versions of the
"same" compiler. If we don't fix the Windows ANSI build of GCL in time for the
next Maxima release,
CLISP is still a valid option for hard core Maxima users on Windows.   So that
everyone is clear on

I would really not like to cede the windows ground to clisp.

this, I can't get CVS HEAD Maxima built with any combination of HEAD or STABLE
and CLtL1 or ANSI on
Windows today.  Focusing on ANSI GCL, there seems to be a string handling
problem with ANSI GCL:

;    - Compiling module "utilities"
;      - Source file e:/cvs/maxima/src/e:/cvs/maxima/src/j/opers.lisp and
;        binary file binary-gcl/opers.o not found, not loading.
Source file "e:/cvs/maxima/src/e:/cvs/maxima/src/j/opers.lisp" and binary file "
binary-gcl/opers.o" do not exist.

Vadim, did you see something similar?  I think you had resolved this, no?

Yes, but my resolution is not of kind I like.
Replace Maxima's defsystem.lisp by older version -
beginning of May 2003 or earlier.

--
     Vadim V. Zhytnikov

      <address@hidden>