gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Maxima] Re: Maxima cmucl patch

From: Billinghurst, David (CALCRTS)
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Maxima] Re: Maxima cmucl patch
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:34:02 +1100

Just to add to Mikes comments.

I am happily using a clisp based maxima on cygwin.  It suits me because:
 - it has a unix command line
 - I have access to tools like cvs and rsync
 - I can script and automate tasks very easily, and run the same jobs
   on our Unix systems to get the real work done
 - the performance loss due to the emulation layer is often
   preferable to carrying around two PCs, and I am not allowed to
   install Linux work machines.

However, for a typical PC user I also recommend the Windows native maxima,
and this should be the focus of Windows based devopment effort.

I am interested in a cygwin based gcl, as I'd like to try building
axiom one day.  I have had a couple of attempts at porting gcl to cygwin
but never had the time/inclination to finish.