gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] sfasl.c - strange 0x80000 extra bytes per relocation

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: [Gcl-devel] sfasl.c - strange 0x80000 extra bytes per relocation
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:28:11 +1000

Hi all.

As an experiment on Windows I tried allocating the incoming object file
space in "sfasl.c" exactly, without the additional 0x80000 bytes and the
ensuing calculations as follows:

#ifdef 0
        the_start = start_address
            = malloc ( datasize + textsize + bsssize + extra_bss +
0x80000 );
        the_start = start_address = (char *) ( 0x1000 * ( ( ( (int) the_start +
0x70000) + 0x1000) / 0x1000 ) );
#else
        the_start = start_address
            = malloc ( datasize + textsize + bsssize + extra_bss );
#endif

This resulted in no observable change in the behaviour of my ANSI GCL build
system other than a decrease in the size of the debug mode executables eg
saved_ansi_gcl went from 19,025,472 to 18,239,040 bytes post "make install".

Unless someone can think of some reason for keeping this obscure addition to
our code (perhaps an alignment issue on some architecture or other?), I vote
we remove it as shown above ASAP.

Cheers

Mike Thomas

PS Incidentally, pre "make install" the new saved_ansi_gcl.exe was only
12,865,088 bytes so it increased in size during "make install" by roughly
50% - does this happen on Unix?