gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] mac os x port questions

From: Aurelien Chanudet
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] mac os x port questions
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:38:05 +0100

Hi Lars,

Adding GCL to Fink is something I was planning, but this is a bit premature in my opinion. At present, there is one touchy issue : dynamic code loading. GCL uses BFD for this. As you know, BFD is at the core of the GNU toolchain. Although broadly used in the Unix world, it's not officially supported for Mac OS X --- the BFD Mach-O back-end is not fully functional. Therefore, I worked on this back-end so as to add the missing functionalities. The bulk of the work is done. However, I haven't found the time to contribute the code back to the FSF yet. Neither have I found the time to add my patches to GCL's local BFD tree. GCL is configured to use GCL

Alternatively, there's the dlopen workaround (--disable-statsysbfd --enable-custreloc), which does not really satisfy me, but which does work for Mac OS X.

Actually, there is an other issue with GCL on Panther. I'm not sure whether the issue is due to Panther itself (this issue did not show up under Jaguar), or whether it is due to recent changes in the garbage collecting strategy. Indeed, efforts have been put in recently to improve the GC mechanism, and recent changes might have broken compatibility with Mac OS X. This is something I'll try to investigate for you during the forthcoming week-end.

Anyway, to get you running : have a look at
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gcl-devel/2003-10/msg00156.html
and JUMP DIRECTLY TO STEP 4.

More feedback soon.

> #define GET_FULL_PATH_SELF (a_) \
> #define GET_FULL_PATH_SELF(a_) \
> note removed space between SELF and (a_)

I fixed this in CVS head (2.7.x) a couple of months ago. I've never worked on gcl 2.6.x myself and I must confess I never really took the time to commit my changes to 2.6.x. This is was I was suggesting using 2.7.x instead.

> gcc -c -Wall -DVOL=volatile -fsigned-char -fwritable-strings -pipe -O3
> -fomit-frame-pointer  -I/Users/lars/gcl-2.6.1/o -I../h -I../gcl-tk
> main.c
> main.c: In function `main':
> main.c:164: error: `PATH_MAX' undeclared (first use in this function)
> main.c:164: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> main.c:164: error: for each function it appears in.)
> main.c:164: warning: unused variable `q'
> main.c:164: error: storage size of `q' isn't known
> main.c: In function `initlisp':
> main.c:515: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `gcl_init_socket_function'
> make[1]: *** [main.o] Error 1
> make: *** [unixport/saved_pre_gcl] Error 2

Fixed in 2.7.x as well a couple of months ago.

> # Set this for the linker to operate correctly.
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET = 10.2
> Should this be changed to 10.3?

I don't deem this absolutely necessary.

Aurelien