gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: GCL problems with binutils 2.14.90.0.8

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL problems with binutils 2.14.90.0.8
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:41:39 +0300

Camm Maguire ?????:
Greetings!

Vadim, I'm rather suspect that binutils is the problem.  This code is
completely idle outside of 'load.  Your problems are rather in
compilation and running compiled code.  Are you sure gcc/libc were not
changed in the upgrade?  In any case, I cannot reproduce this with the
latest toolchain in Debian unstable, verified today.  Try
--enable-debug, see if the problem persists, then post a backtrace
under gdb if so.  If not, then its a gcc bug.

I'm perfectly sure that only binutils are involved.
Before upgrade I made backup copy of the system.
So when I diskovered new troubles with GCL I restored
the state before upgrade.  Checked that GCL builds without
trouble.  Upgraded binutils/libbfd/libiberty _only_ and
got the problem back.

I'm especially puzzled by the filure of --enable-locbfd
build.  What parts of binutils are involved is such
build?  Only ld?

Maybe some distro specific patches to binutils
are responsible.

Take care,

"Vadim V. Zhytnikov" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi!

A few days ago I upgraded my ALT Linux distro from
ftp://ftp.altlinux.ru/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/Sisyphus
repository and quickly discovered that after this
I've got serious GCL build problem.  To be more precise
traditional GCL builds successfully but ANSI GCL
always fails at the same point

Compiling PCL_DEFCLASS...
Compiling /home/vadim/test/gcl-01/unixport/../pcl/pcl_defclass.lisp.

Error: Caught fatal error [memory may be damaged]
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by FUNCALL.
Backtrace: compiler::t1expr > system:error-set > funcall > funcall >
funcall > GATHERING
; (DEFUN EARLY-COLLECT-INHERITANCE ...) is being compiled.
;;; The macro form (GATHERING ...) was not expanded successfully.
No FASL generated.

Error: Cannot open the file
/home/vadim/test/gcl-01/unixport/../pcl/pcl_defclass.o.

Similar problem occurs during Axiom build

;; The variable |$maxSignatureLineNumber| is undefined.
;; The compiler will assume this variable is a global.
;; The variable |$docList| is undefined.
;; The compiler will assume this variable is a global.
;; The variable |$headerDocumentation| is undefined.
;; The compiler will assume this variable is a global.
; (DEFUN |postIf| ...) is being compiled.
;; Warning: The variable |x| is not used.
End of Pass 1.
End of Pass 2.

Error: Caught fatal error [memory may be damaged]
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by COND.

After some investigation I'm sure that problem is due to
upgrade of binutils from 2.14.90.0.6 to 2.14.90.0.8.

I've tried to build GCL with --disable-statsysbfd --enable-locbfd
but in vain - the problem still persists.  So, it seems that
new libbfd/libiberty aren't responsible.  Quite puzzling!

I'm not sure at the moment who is the real troublemaker
here GCL or binutils but I'd like to find out before
2.6.2 release.

Best wishes,

Vadim

--