gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] ["Gordon Shaw Novak" <address@hidden>]Re:GCLgetting slus

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] ["Gordon Shaw Novak" <address@hidden>]Re:GCLgetting slushy ...
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:07:18 +1000

Hi Camm.

| Greetings, and thanks!  Can someone please confirm whether this clears
| the problem?

I worked out how to use run-lisp in emacs to run an inferior lisp window
under NT (GNU not X) emacs.

Interestingly both before and after the change the buffer has no ^M's
showing, so I suppose Gordon is using some other kind of emacs (earlier
version, Cygwin or XEmacs?) or a less forgiving emacs Lisp mode.

Having said that, the test I applied yesterday after making the change (the
presence of ^M's in the make log) showed that the bug was at least partly
fixed.  I say at least partly because the number of ^M's output decreased
after the fix and those that are left I am unable at this stage to attribute
to the build tools or to GCL.  If they are due to GCL then I am back up
against the deeper issues discussed earlier in this strand of emails.

Either way there is an improvement and in standard Emacs using the standard
inferior Lisp mode there are no ^M's.

In answer to your separate question about readline under MinGW - such a
library does exist for MinGW32 but I left it out for three reasons:

1. It is buggy,

2. It conflicts with the normal console editing mode under modern Windows
flavours (NT, 2000, XP) - for Windows 98 there are workarounds (not ideal
ones, but they exist), and

3. It takes GCL even further away from LGPL.

|  Will a modified windows binary be required for such
| confirmation?

Gordon, if you would like a new binary, let me know.  I would also be
interested in hearing about your emacs setup for running GCL.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.

| > |
| > |
| > | Hi there.
| > |
| > |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > | The Windows build doesn't use readline so I doubt it.
| > |
| > | I don't know how to use GCL from inside emacs - I always run them
| > | separately.  If someone can tell me some easy steps to achieve
| > | that I'll try
| > | and look into it.
| > |
| > | I have considered changing GCL to never write CR characters
| but it is a
| > | subtle problem depending on the circumstances and I haven't yet fully
| > | understood what happens with line endings in the various Common
| > | Lisp format
| > | and print functions.  Nor do I know what the ramifications
| vis-a-vis the
| > | ANSI specification might be.
| > |
| > | In principle, it is probably statistically valid to change
| GCL so that it
| > | reads the various kinds of line ending properly, but only ever
| > | outputs Unix
| > | style LF line endings because on modern Windows systems Notepad
| > | is the only
| > | text processing program I am aware of which does not understand them.
| > |
| > | The approach I favour is to have a global variable and a
| setting function
| > | which optionally turns CR output on and off.
| > |
| > | Cheers
| > |
| > | Mike Thomas