gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] ["Gordon Shaw Novak"<address@hidden>]Re:GCLgetting slush

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] ["Gordon Shaw Novak"<address@hidden>]Re:GCLgetting slushy ...
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:46:41 +1000

Hi Camm.

| We should probably instead default to
|
| GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  (2.6.1) Fri Feb 20 16:31:57 UTC 2004
| GCL source licensed under GNU Library General Public License
| This binary licensed under the GPL due to the inclusion of
| the following external GPL'ed features: unexec, libbfd, readline
| Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
| Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
|
| This list could be generated from elements in the *features* list put
| in at compile time depending on the selected options.
|
| Thoughts, (but not flames :-)) most appreciated.

I think that this is a sensible approach except that the part about the
source should perhaps read:

"GCL source licensed under GNU Library General Public License except for
unexec, libbfd and readline which are under GNU General Public License."

The source licencing statement should not be tied to the features list as
the source tree contains all components as distributed.

I also would like to see, for the sake of convenience, the version displayed
as "2.6.1 ANSI" or "2.6.1 CLtL1" depending on the value of the configure.in
variable @CLSTANDARD@ which is already being used in the Windows installer
script to generate differentiable package names.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.