gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Interpretation of random tester output

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Interpretation of random tester output
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 06:04:53 -0600

Camm Maguire wrote:
Greetings, and thanks, Paul!

1) Your clear and very helpful explanations agree with my guesses as
   to what the output was saying.  But I'm still having a quandary.
   After adjusting for the latest fix, I'm running the tester again
   and found another form.  I eval the :unoptimized-form with
   arguments given in :vals, then the optimized form, and lastly I
   compile the latter and run the compiled version on the same
   arguments, and come up with the same answer all three times.  (I
   take the (lambda form, and change lambda to defun foo, could that
   possibly be the difference?)

   The example of which I speak is attached.

This looks like it wasn't pruned...

2) How long does one have to abort and find the g, y etc. variables
   set?

...LOOP-RANDOM-INT-FORM does groups of 2000 iterations before it
reduces anything.  So, wait for those progress numbers to reach
the next line.  I should probably make it do this continually.

3) What can :kind be besides optimized-form?

It can be a (printed representation of) a compiler error, meaning
the compile aborted, it can be :(un)optimized-form, meaning an error
occured during evaluation of the (un)optimized form, or it can
be :different-results, meaning they evaluated successfully, but
computed different things.

The irreproducibility of the error might be related to stack
corruption, or some problem in compiling the code of random-int-form.lsp
itself.  You might try just loading random-int-form.lsp instead of
compiling and loading it (this should not slow down the testing
significantly.)

        Paul