gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: GCL vs. Fedora

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL vs. Fedora
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 21:10:14 -0500

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 20:26, Camm Maguire wrote:
> Greetings, and thanks for your note!  I'll try to call in tomorrow.
> In any case, the problem appears to be in the final call to unexec.
> We've always known this part would be a problem that would have to be
> resolved externally to GCL, as the unexec comes straight from emacs,
> which also broke on Fedora, and which the Fedora developers told me
> they were going to fix.  Perhaps you could find out the status here,
> as that was FC1.

I suspect you are better able to accomplish this than I am. I have read
the archived email back and forth between you and the Fedora fellow. It
wasn't clear to me from the email that the FC1 team intended to fix the
problem. Rather, I believe he was suggesting that it had already been
fixed and that you might look into recent emacs sources.

One option would be to install the emacs source RPM from FC1 and look
into the source code and possibly the patches for unexec. If this seems
productive, I'll be happy to install the source RPM on srl.cs and point
you at it.

> In any case, we have a work around which is slightly more difficult to
> use.  --disable-statsysbfd --enable-dlopen.  This should build just
> fine, but then you'll  have to follow the alternate acl2 build
> instructions which you can find in the debian/rules of the debian acl2
> package.  As using dlopen to relocate and load compiled objects is
> awkward in lisp, we have focused on reducing/eliminating the need for
> its use rather than making a dlopen build more transparent.  Perhaps
> we could turn our attention to the latter in 2.7.

I'll keep this in my queue to look at. For the moment I think it's
probably wiser for me to proceed with CMUCL on a fast machine and assist
you in any way that I reasonably can in having you resolve hte GCL
issues.

Just to make matters really fun, FC2 is due out any day now. When I have
that installed somewhere, you're welcome to an account there as well.

> Just one other item -- It has just been pointed out in the last week
> and a half that the latest binutils no longer retains symbol values
> for undefined symbols in the executables it produces.  We've designed
> a fix, but it is still a bit fluid.  Should be firmed up in a week or
> two.  What's in cvs right now should be fine for these alternate
> builds of maxima and acl2.  axiom needs a bit more work, which I hope
> to commit in the next day or so.

Thanks for the heads up.
--
Jonathan S. Shapiro <address@hidden>