gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: gcl-2.6.1 on Fedora Core?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl-2.6.1 on Fedora Core?
Date: 10 Mar 2004 21:43:27 -0500

that has been posted to comp.lang.lisp as well.

Greetings, and thanks!  We already add -Wa,--execstack to the cflags,
but this is not enough.  (I'm assuming that is equivalent to the ld
flag -- could be wrong here.)  With gcl and emacs, the problem is not
with an executable stack -- gcl never executes code off its stack.
Its just that principally speaking, unexec assumes that sbrk expanded
.data sections are contiguous -- it can't unexec an image with a hole
between where the ld-produced .data section ended and where the first
sbrk() started.  It does not appear that --execstack turns off brk
randomization.  But setarch does.  Would greatly appreciate
clarification/enlightenment/some internal marking to achieve this goal
as apart from an executable stack.

Take care,