gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Status of GCL?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Status of GCL?
Date: 08 Apr 2004 17:42:08 -0400

that has been posted to comp.lang.lisp as well.

Greetings!  GCL has seen a lot of development over the past three
years or so.  You can follow the progress at address@hidden

The C interface is largely the same, with updates for the newer gcc
demands.

faslink has not been enabled yet because no one has asked for it.
It would appear to be straightforward given GCL's other linking
options.  If you would like to explore enabling it and have some
specific examples, please let us know. The docs state that faslink is
a rather unportable option, and recommend an alternate method based on
the makefiles.  We've simplified the latter option quite a lot, so
that the build tree and makefiles are no longer necessary to link in C
libraries and code, rather the user can use (compiler::link...) from
within GCL proper.  Again, if you have a specific example, I can show
you how to link your new image with this function, or you can just
check the docs.

Of course, native compiled lisp object loading is still supported as
always, with dumping via si::save-system preserving these loads on 6
out of 12 Debian platforms (i386 sparc arm m68k ppc s390) and xBSD.
As you probably know, one can insert arbitrary C code into these
modules via (clines ...).

Take care,