gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Large GCL Configurations

From: Aurelien Chanudet
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Large GCL Configurations
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:21:09 +0200

Greetings, and thanks for your feedback!  Aurelien, the CPPFLAG does
not appear to be completely propagated to the bfd/libiberty subbuild.
Have you seen this before?  Is this a question of libtools or some
such mismatch with what you are runninng?

This isn't something I've seen before. Nor does it is, in my opinion, a question of libtools or the like. All these environment variables are defined in my ~/.bashrc file, so that I don't really care when to set them.

Why is this flag necessary?
Can't we use GNU cpp on GNU header files when fink is available?

Apple has its own preprocessor. While it might occasionally deliver speed improvement, this preprocessor isn't compatible with most traditional C source files. For this reason, I'm always deactivating it : this is the purpose of CPPFLAGS="-no-cpp-precomp". Now, I suspect that deactivating Apple's custom preprocessor means replacing it by the default GNU (?) preprocessor.

I'd like to figure out why this doesn't work out of the box like it
does on Aurelien's system if possible.

But before we fix this, I've found out the latest 2.6.1 errors out on MacOS X when the first memory allocation is to take place. It seems pretty straightforward to identify where the error is originating from, but I'm unsure about how to fix it : apparently, the very first memory allocation fails because GBC isn't enabled (which yields an "Error: Caught fatal error [memory may be damaged]" when run outside of gdb). Any idea ?

Starting program: /src/src/gcl-2.6.1/unixport/saved_pre_gcl

Breakpoint 1, alloc_contblock (n=131072) at alloc.c:538
538             g = FALSE;
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Breakpoint 2, alloc_contblock (n=131072) at alloc.c:558
558                     if (!g)
(gdb) n
559                       GBC(t_contiguous);
(gdb) s
GBC (t=t_contiguous) at gbc.c:1067
1067      int in_sgc = sgc_enabled;
(gdb) n
1070      int tm=0;
(gdb) n
1073      if (in_signal_handler && t == t_relocatable)
(gdb) n
1076      if (GBC_enter_hook != NULL)
(gdb) n
1079      if (!GBC_enable)
(gdb) n
1080        error("GBC is not enabled");
(gdb) bt
#0  GBC (t=t_contiguous) at gbc.c:1080
#1  0x0001c7d0 in alloc_contblock (n=131072) at alloc.c:559
#2  0x0001fba0 in my_malloc (size=131072) at alloc.c:1413
#3 0x00002e04 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffc38, envp=0xbffffc40) at main.c:285
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Error: Caught fatal error [memory may be damaged]
Error signalled by an anonymous function.
Broken at COND.  Type :H for Help.