gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] OpenBSD progress

From: Magnus Henoch
Subject: [Gcl-devel] OpenBSD progress
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:42:17 +0200

I've gotten GCL to compile on OpenBSD.

* W^X, "write xor exec", seems to cause problems with unexec.  The
  Emacs people haven't solved them, but just disabled it, so I did the
  same.

  With W^X on OpenBSD/i386, code starts at 0x1c000000, and data starts
  at 0x3c000000, since (as I gather from skimming OpenBSD
  documentation) the only way to make parts of memory non-executable
  on i386 is to draw a line in the middle of it, dividing into
  executable and non-executable memory.

  The -Z flag needs to be added to all ld calls, including the one in
  configure where it tries to find the value of DBEGIN.  It is not
  immediately obvious to me how to do that - I would imagine that
  setting LDFLAGS would do it, but LDFLAGS is not mentioned at all in
  configure.in.

* Process limits are not saved with unexec, so the getrlimit stuff in
  alloc.c needs to be in main as well.

There are still some changes in my tree which I haven't verified that
they're really needed.  I'll sort that out in the next few days.

Regards,
Magnus